Jam Pot Textiles

Jam Pot Textiles

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Adding Insects

I have at last sewn down the flower and leaves of the stump work. The kit shows the flower on a little piece of ground, i was worried that i would not be able to finish the bottoms neatly, but it went a lot better then i thought and was able to finish of the bottom edge with buttonhole stitch to match the sides, and no hunk of ground needed to cover it up! I am so pleased that i used the silk, it makes it look so much better. I decided to add a butterfly, and having looked at the colours i had in my thread box, i could not resist the blue, so roughly copied a common blue butterfly. I firstly split stitched the darker lines in, and then using long and short, filled in the other areas.

The butterfly was finished of with a bullion knot and a couple of the smallest french knot i could manage!

Having enjoyed making the butterfly, i wondered whether i could add anything else, and as i have just treated myself to a set of clip on magnifiers, in an attempt to see as i did before the cataracts something small was in order, and what better than a ladybird, worked in four colour. black, two shades of red and a little light gray. But having worked him, I decided not to work one on the picture, and to turn this sample bug into a brooch!!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Knitting seasons over!!!!!

Knitting season is over, I think that I am all knitted out for the moment, as you see from the photos, the little bear is bear no more! She is modeling a fine set of cream and pink Pj's in cotton 4ply, and with the help of Alister the duck, is also showing of her dressing gown.

She also has a lovely hat with pom pom and a little pair of slippers, great fun to make. There is also, on the pattern, even more clothes to make, but the first thing that India did when i gave her the bear was to take the clothes off!, so no more yet!

Long live Embroidery

Here is the stumpwork all ready for me to get started on again, I have not used the fabric that the kit come with, it is a mid blue colour, and the fabric quality is poor. I found in the cupboard a lovely ivory silk, and i have sewn it on to some calico as a backing. I know it will take me ages to get the leaves and flower sewn down as they do need to placed just right. As yet i am still undecided about what else will go in the picture, i may have a little play on another piece of fabric and use what works.